Obesity is the disease of the millennium. In South Africa, obesity and excess weight are primary contributors to cardiovascular problems. According to The Heart and Stroke Foundation of SA, obesity has more than doubled globally.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1How does obesity affect health?
- 2What are the risks of Obesity?
- 3Why obesity causes Sleep Apnea...
- 4Why does obesity have a huge risk to worsen sleep apnea?
- 5How can one improve Sleep Apnea and Obesity?
- 6Can weight loss cure sleep apnea?
- 7What Weight loss method is offered at our centers?
- 8Can you improve OSA by losing Weight?
- 9What type of patient can be treated with weight loss?
- 10What integrative supplements are recommended?
Individuals who are obese run up to a 3 times increased risk of death- compared to individuals who are in their normal weight range. Obese individual’s lifespan are shortened by an average of 8 to 10 years. For every 15 extra kilo's, risk of early death increases by around 30%.
Individual who is overweight or obese increases the risk of the following disease:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- Malignancies such as breast, prostate, pancreatic and colon cancer
- Affects mobility and interferes with restful sleep,
- Contributes to digestive disorders
- An overall lower quality of life than that enjoyed by lean individuals.
- Your neck get thicker as you gain weight.
- The fat level in your throat increases, which will cause your airway to get smaller.
- The fat is located around your airway not within the walls, and when the muscle tone is reduced during sleep, the fatty tissue, in effect, mass loads the airway and tends to collapse it.
You will find that Individual’s that are overweight have an excess of fatty tissue on the abdomen that can interfere with the normal breathing.
The more overweight the induvial is, the more difficult is to breathe while sleeping. When sleep apnea is worsen, you may feel drowsier during the day. Worsen sleep apnea means that excessive daytime sleepiness. If we sleep all day, we don't consume enough energy and so we become less active and gain more weight. In this way we aggravate our health situation harder. If you are obese, you can enter a vicious circle, being obese can cause sleep apnea, which will make you less active, causing you to gain more fat.
Can eliminate sleep apnea, if obesity is one of the main causes. It has been proven that weight loss can lead to an improved sleep efficiency, decreased snoring and improved oxygenation. It's better to start using CPAP therapy as your main remedy for sleep apnea, it will also help with better results during weight loss. Sleeping better is a great help during your weight loss plan.
Is the most common treatment for sleep apnea, and it is the most effective. The only problem is that it's so difficult to adapt to it. If are struggling with your weight and have obstructive sleep apnea, then you should start CPAP therapy as soon as possible. You will have a more restful sleep and better energy levels in the day, then you can fight against obesity with less effort.
Book a consultation with our Health Renewal doctors for Obesity.
Weight loss is one of the best treatments for weight-related OSA, but it’s also one of the most difficult treatments to maintain. Weight loss has helped cure sleep apnea for many patients with obstructive apnea.
At Body and Health Renewal we offer the Body Renewal Medical Weight Loss program, an HCG diet and medical weight loss program which treats the cause of obesity, resistance to leptin. It is a safe and effective weight and fat loss program that has evolved over 10 years of experience in the weight loss industry. It is a medical weight loss program which specifically targets abnormal and resistant fat, which results in slimming and shaping of the body.
- A highly professional team lead by a medical doctor assesses every patient.
- In this consultation your medical history will be evaluated.
- The doctor will then decide whether any blood tests are necessary.
- A team of registered nurses supports each patient in their weight loss journey to ensure the best results are obtained.
The program is based on improving sensitivity to Leptin and has four components:
- a low GI diet
- Weight loss supplements / nutraceuticals in the form of capsules and powder,
- a daily meal replacement with a low GI health shake
- Daily injections of a lipotropic substance (HCG) that targets and releases abnormal fat in the body.
If the program is strictly adhered to patients lose between 8 to 10 kilograms a month for women, 10 to 15 kilograms a month for men, generally find it quite easy, and feel good with high energy levels. In fact, depressed patients have mood elevation as the Leptin levels "Kick in" 7 days into the program. Many of our patients have tried numerous other well-known diets but find this to be the magic one that actually works.
Weight loss has helped cured many patients with sleep apnea. Approximately two-thirds of patients with obstructive sleep apnea are .Obesity is a major risk factor for OSA, due to the significant fat accumulation in the neck. The excess of adipose tissue reduces the area of the pharynx, favouring the obstruction of the airway during inspiration. Weight loss therefore will help with a reduction in upper airway collapsibility. Airway obstruction is caused due to a large tongue, a narrow airway, swollen tonsils or adenoids.
If your main cause of obstructive sleep apnea is weight gain, then you can cure sleep apnea. People who are not overweight have obstructive sleep apnea due to jaw and tongue issues, or they have central apnea. They need other methods of treatments. Weight loss is the best treatment for weight-related obstructive sleep apnea. Weight loss takes time and can be very hard to achieve and maintain, other treatments are often required, such as positive airway pressure or weight loss surgery.
At Sleep Renewal we encourage anyone striving to lose weight to consider going on a CALORIE RESTRICTED DIET.
Increase Physical Activity is one of the most effective means of attaining a negative energy balance. Physical exercise should be done regularly in accordance with one's overall health and mobility. Anyone one with extreme obesity or severe osteoarthritis, should consult a HR doctor prior to embarking on an activities.
Essential supplements are:
Restore Resting Energy Expenditure (REE);
- Green tea extract
- Omega 3 Fish oil
Restore Healthy ADIPOCYTE (Fat Cell) signalling with;
- Irvingia gabonensis
Restore Brain SEROTONIN
- Pharmaceutical support
CARBOHYDRATE ABSORPTION and Glucose Synthesis control Rate
- Propolmannan (before meal)
- Green Coffee bean extract
Restore Youthful HORMONE Balance;
- Dehydroepiandrosterone(DHEA):depending on blood test results
- 7-Keto® DHEA
- Bio-identical (natural) hormone replacement therapy (if needed): as directed by an experienced physician
- Thyroid hormone replacement therapy (if needed)
- Aromatase inhibitor (if needed; men only)
INSULIN Sensitivity restored
- Pharmaceutical support: Metformin
Inhibit the LIPASE Enzyme;
- Green tea extract (std. to 98% polyphenols)