What can be done to help one to stop snoring?
- Tennis Balls: It is difficult for some people to stay off their backs, when sleeping. A solution to this could be to sew a sock with a tennis ball inside to your pyjamas, on your back. This method does not word that well as it just irritates the snorer.
- Sleep position devices: These devices help you to stay off your back when sleeping; this ranges from triangular wedges to shirts filled with foam rods to prevent sleeping on your back. It can make a huge difference for some people, but many have no response to his as well.
- Side sleep position pillows:This pillow positions your arm above your head and forces you to sleep on your side.
- Contour pillows:This is a good one to use if you can sleep on your back. The pillow forces your head back a bit helping to lift your chin, and opening up the airway. A different option is to roll up a towel into a “log” or get one of the Asian husk-filled pillows that are shaped like a roll.
- Diet and weight loss: As poor sleep leads to weight gain, it can make it difficult to lose weight with exercise and diet.
- Nasal dilator clips: They work by pulling your soft nostrils apart, preventing nostril collapse when you inhale. This method is not that effective.
- Wind instruments:When playing an instrument like a flute it can help to tone the muscles in your throat and tongue.
- Singing: The act of singing promotes throat muscle tone and control, almost like playing a wind instrument.
- Tongue exercises: This can be helpful to some people but needs to be an ongoing exercise, as it has some benefit.
- Throat spays: The natural herbs and ingredients can help with snoring, but studies show that it is not that helpful.
- Acupuncture:This helps with stress and fatigue, but there is not enough evidence to show that it really helps that much.
- Electronic devices that wake you up when you snore: These devices can be quite expensive.
- Ear plugs for the bed partner: Where it may benefit the partner, it does not really help the snorer.
- Sleeping in another room: Although this alleviates the problem, it is not healthy for any relationship, and the sound of the snoring travels too, so not the best option to use.