Studies have shown a possible link between sleep apnea and increased cancer growth.
Because of the breathing pauses caused by a collapsed airway, people with sleep apnea can experience a condition called Hypoxia, intermittently throughout the night. This causes oxygen deficiency in the tissue of the whole body or parts of the body.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1How does a lack of oxygen enhance blood vessel growth in a tumour?
- 2How do you know if you Have Sleep Apnea?
- 3What are some tips for you if you Have Sleep Apnea?
- 4Should Cancer patients take dietary supplements?
- 5What supplementation can be used to prevent cancer?
- 6What are the three most important supplements to be taking?
- 7What should cancer patients eat as well as what to eat to prevent cancer?
The cells promote the creation of new blood vessels in the tumours. This causes problems in patients suffering from sleep apnea, as they struggle with hypoxia at night. Thus with hypoxia it can promote the formation of blood vessels in tumours, which increases the tumours nutrients.
Listen to your body. Ask yourself if you wake up tired or often find yourself tired throughout the day. If one does feel like that, then there’s probably something causing your poor rest at night. Ask your sleep partner. With common sleep apnea (obstructive), and one snores continuously for duration, and then the noise disappears. After 10 or 20 seconds to a minute of silence, there would be a big gasp for air, and then back to snoring. This may occur a few times during the night. For sleep apnea (central), one can also pause their breathing for some time before the gasp for air, but there is no snoring.
Download a free sleep monitoring app on your smartphone. There are many apps which can monitor your snoring at night, or you can use a recorder.
- Stop Smoking and excessive drinking
- Establish a consistent sleep schedule
- Lose weight
- Try not to eat 3 hours prior to sleep
- Retrain your breathing habit and exercise your tongue to strengthen your airway against airway collapse
- Try and sleep on your side
- Keep your mouth closed during sleep
- Book a consult at Health Renewal
When the patient is under the watchful eye of a Sleep Renewal/Health Renewal Doctor the correct supplementation will be advised and monitored. However, take note that the dosages required for treating cancer is larger than those required for prevention of cancer. The risk is multi-directional. Overdosing or under dosing, as well as a lack of patient awareness regarding the full potential of natural pharmaceuticals, hampers recovery.
It is impossible to prescribe one supplement, hormone or drug. There are many approaches and combinations which will be decided by your Health Renewal Doctor according to the individual patient's situation. Few oncologists aggressively seek to prevent recurrence once the primary disease appears to have been eradicated.
A properly planned diet is very important for cancer patients. These foods should try to be avoided:
- Eat organic, where possible.
- Eat regularly so as to maintain balanced blood glucose levels and avoid fluctuations.
- Select foods characterized by color and texture.
- Avoid synthetic and refined foods.
- Avoid flour and flour based products.
- Avoid sugar-containing foods as well as rice.
- Avoid well done meats or over cooked meals.
- Avoid foods with trans fatty acids.
General guidelines on food that should be part of the diet:
- Vitamins, and mineral-rich foods,